|St. Luke Window|
The name "Jewels of Light" refers to the church's extraordinarily historic and beautiful stained-glass windows, which are #51 on our list of 100 Great Things about Jackson County, Florida.
Special thanks are due to Mary Robbins for assisting with this history of the windows:
The story of the stained-glass windows dates back to the Civil War. Union troops burned St. Luke's Episcopal Church to the ground during the Battle of Marianna on September 27, 1864. In the hard times of Reconstruction, it took the parish fifteen years to raise enough money to replace its lost sanctuary.
|Rare photo of 1879 church with original stained-glass windows.|
|Rare photo of church after 1941 fire.|
Courtesy of Mary Robbins
Once again war and hard times intervened in the replacement of the structure and it was not until Easter morning, April 6, 1947, that the present building was dedicated. World War II had slowed the work of rebuilding.
|Inside St. Luke's with the windows glowing from sunlight.|
Local artisans Ashley and Yoshiko Hill, assisted by noted artist Maria Therrien Johnson, designed and produced two windows for the Children's Chapel in 1997 and the glass transom and door windows on the north side of the church in 2002.
|Philips Memorial Window|
Of special note is the Friendship Window high in the west wall of the church. It was placed to the Glory of God and as a show of appreciation for the many friends that came to the aid of the parish after the heartbreaking fire in 1941.
|Section of the St. Peter Window.|
The "Jewels of Light" Tour will be this Sunday, January 25, at 2 p.m.
To learn more about St. Luke's Episcopal Church, please visit www.stlukesmarianna.org.
To see the full list of 100 Great Things about Jackson County, Florida, as it is unveiled, please visit http://twoegg.blogspot.com/2014/03/100-great-things-about-jackson-county.html.